Monday, June 7, 2010

journal entry- losing the memories

It's another sleepless night. I have no trouble falling asleep when my head hits the pillow the first time, it's only a problem if I wake up during the night and then I can't fall back asleep.  So needless to say, I get a lot of "planning" done in my head as I lay there thinking of everything that needs to be done. I am retired and don't really have a lot on my plate (on a day to day basis) but I mentally plan every event of my life while trying to go back to sleep. Sometimes I have been conscious enough to write things down during my brainstorming minutes, but mostly it is forgotten by the time I actually need to "act on it".  So goes the senior years. I do think my most frustrating times are losing my memories. I am glad I did journal regularly for awhile (during my peak mom years) so I can go back and read it, but for the most part, details are fading away and that makes me sad.  I love being with my sisters and reminiscing about our childhood, it helps keep the memories alive. And now I have started to journal again on a regular basis to be able to share as many memories as I can with my prosperity.

I remember thinking during our younger days that what I really wanted to happen (in my perfect world) was for my mom & dad to own a big piece of property and then each of my sisters and I and our families could all live on a compound, each having a separate house but a common playground, swimming pool, bbq area, etc.  I'm sure no one else would have liked my perfect world scenario, but I dreamed about that for years. I loved living near my sisters and loved the closeness of the cousins. Then, later in life, as my family grew, I had the same thoughts of a compound only this time with my grown kids and their families living surrounding us.  My perfect world is not a reality and I have come to except that fact, but I still hate that I can't have everyone that I love close at hand on a daily basis.

Okay, I just re-read this post and realize it is a little depressing, but that is how I am feeling right now, a little funky.  I know this too shall pass. Life goes on, more memories are made and more memories may be lost by some but a new generation can take those memories and pass them on and the circle of life continues. What a wonderful plan our Heavenly Father has created! FAMILIES ARE FOREVER

3 comments:

Katie said...

Someday you WILL have that dream come true! All of it.

Grandma in the middle said...

You know, there was a family in Jessica's old ward that had that. It was so cool! They would have ward parties there. It would be great to have such a large piece of property that all of us and all our children could live close by! I love when the cousins all get together! It's like they have never been apart. I love all of my family so much! You are all the best!

Christie said...

We've talked about a "Jeppson compound" for years. It's been fun as each in law has come into the family to talk about what they would do in the compound (Seth would be the groundskeeper!) Of course it will never happen in this life, but I'd love it! I'm so jealous of my siblings in Charlotte. It was so awesome to visit last month.