Saturday, December 27, 2008

Mary or Martha?

I've done it again! As I tossed and turned in bed last night even though I was exhausted and had soaked in a hot tub, had a cup of hot chocolate and took 3 motrims, I could not fall asleep. My mind has trouble shutting off, especially if something is bothering me. So I went over everything I had done this last week (see previous post) to see what was still on my mind. And then it dawned on me. I was so obsessed with the party preparations and the food getting done (smoked a turkey for only the second time and forgot it would take so long) that I totally blew an opportunity which we may never have again...why didn't we take pictures of my mom and dad with their 4 out of 5 daughters (and spouses) or with 10 of their grandchildren with spouses or with 17 of their young great-grandchildren? Why? How could I have been so absorbed that I passed up that opportunity? I'm sure we got some pictures taken of the evening (I will post what Ray took, but not enough) but I don't have one picture of my parents with this large gathering of kids, grandkids and great grands and I will never have that opportunity back again. I actually hate the way I worry about the wrong things and don't remember the major details. And it was fun to play the "how well do you know your relatives" game, but again, an opportunity missed. I should have played some game with mom and dad supplying us with bits of information about their lives so that the younger generations could have learned more about them.
Oh well, I have beat myself up enough now, I better get back to something more worthwhile.

3 comments:

Christie said...

It's just so easy to miss those opportunities, isn't it? On the other hand, it's also entirely possible to get so caught in capturing those moments for posterity that we forget to really live them. Sounds like you did a good job living in the moment.

Ashley said...

I agree with Christie - sometimes you just having too much fun! But I do often come home from a big get together and wish I had taken the time to take more pictures, even though I hate forcing everyone to stop what they are doing to gather around and there's always a kid who doesn't want to be in the picture! But someday someone will want to see that moment. We should have had a video camera capturing it all! And the game was great and I learned a few things about everyone.

Katie said...

From what I heard, everyone had a really great time spending time together! I am on the opposite end - I go overboard sometimes wanting to capture each moment and forget to live the moment. Sometimes I force myself to leave my camera at home so that I won't be thinking what pictures to take the whole time. I do know what you mean though - every time I come home from Blythe I think "Oh, I should have gotten more pictures with the kids and their grandparents or great-grandparents."