Tuesday, September 2, 2008

The MOVE

Well, Grandpa and Grandma are settled into their new apt. They packed way too much stuff! I think they forgot how small the apt was. But, we could not convince them to trade the BIG desk for a smaller one or to leave behind a shelving unit. So we took it all. Thank goodness they had a couple of workhorse neighbors who owed them some money and helped them load up to pay their debt (side note: and glad one was obviously "on something" because he had the adrenaline of superman!) Ray and Bob, Linda and I were all there to supervise and help in little ways. The truck and trailer were loaded by 8:00 AM and mom and dad drove their car off into the sunset without looking back. Ray and I and kids were going to drive the truck but gave them a good 1 hour head start. At that end of the move, Kathy, Chuck, Josh and Angie and kids and Ray Jr with his 4 kids were there to help unload which gave Ray, Ryan and Dad a little break. After we got all the stuff in the apt. there wasn't much room to walk around. We all left them there to unpack and rest up before they had to go to the dining hall for dinner.

We spent the night with the Middoughs having pizza and playing cards. We were tired but had a great time. Thanks Kathy and Chuck. We went to Sacrament meeting with Ray and kids (Brandie had to work) and then we left for home by way of Covina to check back with the folks.
They had obviously been up late or got up early and had been busy unpacking. The apt was taking shape. But they also discovered they had too much stuff and sent us home with 2 coffee tables, 2 book cases and lots of tote boxes. They also found out that they had left behind some stuff they did need. So they are settling in just fine. They were real happy about the meals they had except dad decided he needed to eat a little less each time because he is not used to 3 meals a day at those intervals (7:15 , 12:00, 5:00) He wasn't hungry at the right times! Mom has to walk a good 2 block walk to the dining hall, so good exercise 3 times a day. The nurse had been there and did a full assessment on them (documented every bruise, cut, cross toes, etc on their bodies). I think all the residents saw the 6 little kids visiting on Saturday and enjoyed having them there. The kids were a little bored but we walked around and met some people.

All in all, the move went smooth and I haven't cried yet. I thought it would be harder. I am going to the empty house today to clean, maybe it will hit me then. C'est la vive! (spelling?)

4 comments:

Jamie said...

Just reading this reminds me of our recent move. We had a few things we didn't need either so when my parents came up we sent them back with some stuff. Glad that everything went well!

Jones Family said...

I am so glad that they are settled! That is great! I know my mom was really sad that she wasn't there to help!

Christie said...

It's so strange to think that they don't live there anymore. I've been so glad that they've been in Blythe so that I could see them whenever I went home. I don't want to think about the fact that most likely I will be able to count on one hand the number of times I will see them again.

Jamie said...

Hey Pat! Havn't hear from you in a while! I have some good news on my blog!